Thanks James for the following advice:
Got to step 7 and it worked for me!
1) Take some tea
2) Follow these instructions:
3) Disable Web Sharing in System Preferences
4) Open MAMP, make sure servers are stopped
5) Open Preferences panel in MAMP
6) Switch to Ports, set Apache Port to 80. Click OK.
7) Try starting your servers.
* If it doesn’t work, manually review your httpd.conf file (within the MAMP application folder) and make sure that there are no active references to 8888
BTW: you can turn Web Sharing back on after these steps and it will keep working on Port 80.